RE: [AV Media Matters] Digital audio file formats

Dear All,
    I am replying to an early response on this subject, because I consider
you have *all* missed two very important points in the discussion so far.
    Here, at the British Library "National Sound Archive", I consider our
job is to preserve the original (or the *intended* original) *Sound*, rather
than any physical artefacts. My regular readers will know that we are doing
very little such work, and then only with analogue media which are expected
to self-destruct if we don't. But as someone else remarked, I am horribly
aware that there is much more in such recordings than we can recover with
present-day techniques. So the work we are doing at present is essentially a
"once-and-for-all" process. (We are of course keeping our originals in case
a new process - and the necessary pound notes -  come along, so we might
have another try).
    My first point is that it is *vital* to document all the processes which
have been used to "archivally digitise" an analogue recording, so future
historians will know how we've interpreted the analogue version available to
us. As a simple example, consider the problem of playing-speed. There are
many techniques which can be employed to set the playing-speed of an
analogue recording satisfactorily (some of them self-contradictory), so the
result may depend on the assumptions made by the analogue-to-digital
operators. All this information needs to accompany the digitised version, so
future historians will understand our thought-processes.
    This may mean anything from nil metadata to some megabytes of metadata.
Whilst I can see the advantages of "access versions" for Rod Louey-Gung's
situation, he will be aware that the compressed digital version suffers in
the presence of hiss from a 9.5cm/sec tape, and I am being afflicted with
this very problem myself. A skilled audio engineer is necessary to do a
subjective tradeoff between (say) hiss, compression-artefacts, and other
"distortions" of the sound. All the lossy compression systems we have tried
require this.
    I consider this intervention is vital, if a Technical Section such as
mine is to retain credibility among the taxpayers who pay my salary!
Peter Copeland
Technical Manager
British Library National Sound Archive
<peter.copeland@bl.uk>