RE: [AV Media Matters] Digital audio file formats

We are embarking on a similar project - planning to migrate and compress
Betacam SX recordings - and I would be grateful if replies to Bob's query
were posted to the list.

Thank you/Diolch

Moderators Comment:
Now if I read this correctly this is an interest in compressing BetacamSX
recordings that are already compressed! That is actually very interesting
and brings the whole transcoding issue front and center. I suspect that the
only way to really migrate these in other then the native compressed format
would be to turn then into VIDEO and then recompress them, and there may be
some interesting problems created in doing this. The cancatenation of
compression algorithms is really an interesting issue that has not been
discussed much - it might be very interesting to take this material and re
compress it using mpeg4 - I would be interested to see what the results
were.

Miranda Morton
+44-(0)29-20898681
Uned Ddarlledu                                Broadcast Unit
Cynulliad Cenedlaethol Cymru       National Assembly for Wales
Caerdydd                                          Cardiff
CF99 1NA                                          CF99 1NA

Dylid cymryd mai datganiadau neu sylwadau personol yw'r uchod, ac nid o
reidrwydd datganiadau neu sylwadau a wneir gan Gynulliad Cenedlaethol
Cymru, gan unrhyw ran ohono neu gan unrhyw gorff sy'n gysylltiedig ag ef

Any statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and
not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any
constituent part or connected body.