RE: RE: [AV Media Matters] F1 format PCM tape deterioration

>For transfer, the preferred device is the one with the
>digital output--was
>it the 701? I'm not sure of the number. Keep looking for one on eBay and
>rec.audio.pro.

IT was the 601 that had the digital output.  They are very rare.

>Short of that, I suspect that most contemporary A-to-D
>converters will far
>surpass the F1's D-to-A converters, sadly. I think bypassing
>these early D-to-A converters should be a goal. The tape I referred to
>was made through an analog connection of F1-type processor to DAT machine.

Sorry to say, base on my measurements on a modified 501 the main limitations
seem to be in the A to D

> Wondering out loud: Anyone know how to find a signal inside an F1 and
> convert it to SPDIF??? Someone might have found a mod like that.

You must have missed my earlier posts.  There is someone making a SPDIF
adapter for the F1, 501, 701.  His name is Paul Phippen and he can be
contacted at pp@whistlewood.co.uk or go to www.pcm501.com