RE: [AV Media Matters] F1 format PCM tape deterioration

I have heard word ( from a friend of mine in England) that there is
significant deterioration in the F1 PCM audio tapes recorded on the
Beta VCR format.  The source of this is the French Bibliotique. They
are supposed to have made measurements that showed the tapes have
lost 40% of their "carrier level".  I have a number of tapes
recorded using this format on both Beta and VHS formats and have not
seen this kind of problem(yet).  I suspect their measurements
reflect interchange errors that occur when the tapes were played
back on machines other than the ones used to make the original
recordings.  All my tapes play fine but I still have the original
decks. Has anyone else heard about this problem and care to comment?

Charles Repka