Re: [AV Media Matters] definition of 'archival'

For document preservation we use ANSI / NAPM IT 9.13-1996 Life Expectancy
commonly known as the LE Rating. The standard reads:

2.21 life expectancy (LE) The length of time that information is
predicted to be retrievable in a system under extended term storage
conditions.

2.22 LE designation: A rating for the "life expectancy" of recording
materials and associated retrieval systems. The number following the LE
symbol is a prediction of the minimum life expectancy in years for which
information can be retrieved without significant loss when stored under
extended-term conditions, e.g., LE 100 indicates that information can be
retrieved after at least 100 years of storage.

Russ Burkel / Analogue Imaging LLC