Re: [AV Media Matters] MiniDV archives?

Valmont, my opinion is that it might make sense for you to copy to DV in
the case of DV masters, and I may go that way myself. But you know, I just
don't trust that tiny little tape. If DAT playback can be a problem, I
believe DV can/will too. If we only had an idea how the format will play
back in 10-15 years..

If you have or expect to receive analog video formats in the future, you
may end up investing in BetaSP anyway, to migrate them. Quite a number of
folks are holding out from irreversibly digitizing their analog materials
(for preservation) until the digital world settles out a bit more. BetaSP
is the analog format of choice in that scenario. As for digitizing for
access and distribution, digitize away!

Bob Curtis-Johnson
AMIPA

>The medium term future of SP as a format must now be in serious doubt. To
>invest in it now as a new format in your archives seems to me to be ill
>advised.
>
>Tony Gardner
>European Commission Video Library
>Brussels

AMIPA
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association
amipa2@pobox.alaska.net
phone 907-279-8433
fax   907-276-0450