[AV Media Matters] heat and tapes

(Sorry if this is a repeated message, but I think my first attempt
to send it was not posted. -- thanks)

This is a question regarding a project in India transferring
reel-to-reel audio tapes to CDs. Our concern is that during the
summer months there the temperatures (indoors) range from 85 degrees
but can soar as high as 110 degrees Farenheit. An air conditioned
environment is not available so we must work with this framework.
(Outside the summer months the temperature is more temperate.)

Though we have people available to do the work during the summer
months, we are concerned about working with the tapes in that
extreme heat. The original tapes range from 30 to 40 years old. They
are primarily recordings of talks (not music). They are being stored
in a metal cabinet inside a stone building - and cannot leave the
country to be worked on.

I would appreciate your input about working in such a hot
environment -given the limitations and constraints this work must be
done in.

Thank you for your help.

Sheila Krynski
Sheriar Foundation