Re: [AV Media Matters] digital video TBC's in preservation copying

Hello Mr. Moderator, thanks for the knowledgeable reply. So other than that
TBC's are good things to have and use, and "the more the merrier" in pres.
copying work, would you mind also speaking to the issue of ADDA in video?
Or should that be left to other archive folks who might be expected to have
deeper (sometimes more emotional) concerns? If it's a prickly issue in tape
formats (and of course it is), does it even matter if there is an ADDA pass
when the image is being written (as in our case) back to an analog
component format? Is there a "purity" issue, as in "we certify this image
has never had a digital pass since it came in the archive"? Quantization
tracking issues? Another part of the digital question of course is
unscrambling a digital signal 100 years from now..

I have at my disposal a Sony BVT-800, JVC T400U, For-A frame store sync,
even down to a couple microtime 2020's(!), and may soon have a Sony
BVT-2000 as well. What I'd like to buy is a couple of far more modern units
for most of my work that doesn't need much babying, but can bene from
today's improvemets in processing. Want to suggest a model or two to
investigate?

Bob CJ
AMIPA

AMIPA
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association
amipa2@pobox.alaska.net
phone 907-279-8433
fax   907-276-0450