Re: [AV Media Matters] Long-term presentation: digital

What we have to fight sometimes is an adversarial relationship
between access and preservation - - as if all-encompassing ease of
immediate access were so important that it outweighed any long-range
needs for preservation.  The principal example being certain
administration people who push hard for the access panacea of
"digital" (they're not sure what _kind_ of digital, just Digital),
while ignoring the fact that we are seriously underfunded on the
preservation side of things.  I.e., we MIGHT dramatically increase
short term access, but at the cost of both long-term preservation
AND access.

while it is possible to have preservation without access, you can't
have long-term access without preservation....

Scott Allen
film colorist
Univ. of So. Carolina Newsfilm Library
sallen@gwm.sc.edu