Re: [AV Media Matters] Long-term presentation: digital

To: Mike Csontos
Do 78-RPM records have an ANSI life expectancy rating?? If so, they may
be the audio equivalent of today's microfilm. Silver gelatin microfilm is
rated by ANSI at 500 years. The LDS church in Salt Lake City believe
their life testing verifies polyester based microfilm will last 1000
years. Of course the real benefit is minimal technology dependence.
Humans are the access device. History teaches us that methodologies with
minimal technology dependence are best for long-term access. As I
understand it, records are going into time capsules along with a playback
needle / earpiece and a pictorial description of a turntable. One article
I read, suggests using the metal master record instead of vinyl copies.

Russ Burkel
P.S. The Mormon Church has an ongoing effort to find a geologic storage
method. It is focused on media life. They will always store the vital
records of humanity in human readable form.

Since photographic film began using polyester as its base material, it
stands up quite well as an archival media. The Rochester Institute of
Permanence has given it a 1000 year life expectancy.

Finally, If you have a technology bias you cannot be effective as an
archivist. To paraphrase Dr. William Saffady, It is not the task of
archivists to prefer one technology over another, but to match the
preservation methodology to the application access requirement.