Re: Sound restoration technology (was [AV Media Matters] AES)

Dick (and I'm copying the list to invite confirmations/flames), I like
Sek'd products (www.sekd.com) and have re-released three albums on two CDs
made from 10-23 year old analog master tapes that were cleaned up using
this stuff. Red Roaster is their low-end (features wise) but I believe has
most of the tools you'll need. The DeClicker is extra (which I have).

Comments?

Richard

At 08:49 AM 09/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering if anyone here knows an ongoing source of de-noise
>technology discussion or in general, where to "keep up" on the ongoing
>advances in the removal of unwanted noise from old recordings and the
>restoration of the sound.
>
>As an individual, the CEDARs of this world are beyond my means, but then
>again the "Sound Forges" were beyond my imagination just a few short years
>ago. Without the equipment to compare for myself, I have to take the
>opinions of the scant few who are willing to comment, and on one hand I
hear
>that "with care, lesser products perform just as well as more expensive
>solutions, in the hands of careful users." On the other hand, I hear that
>"there is no substitute for (fill in blank)"
>
>Periodically, I do web searches for noise reduction developments and get
>sporadic reviews and commentary if I dig far enough, but surely there are
>better ways to find out whats true and what's new ? <g>
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dick Jurgens
>
>www.DickJurgens.com
>

>_| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _|
>_| Mailto: Dick Jurgens
>_| Dick@hawaii.rr.com
>_| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _| _|

AUDIO
>> ARCHIVAL WITH 'QUADRIGA'" it will take you to a prodct information page.
>Do
>> some exploration at the site and you will also find a powerpoint
>> presentation that you can download to learn more. I am afraid that this
>> thread is making me more and more uncomfortable - I am not a Sascom
>> representative. Check it out on your own.
>>
>> jim lindner

DeBuzz,
>>> RepairFilter, Azimuth, Spectralizer, Demotorizer, Multicomp, and
>>> SpectralDeHiss" I wonder what is left!
>>>
>>> It seems to me that there is a big difference between remastering and
>>> archival preservation. There is nothing wrong with producing a release
>of
>>> historic recording that sounds as if it were recorded today.  However
>> there
>>> ought to exist somewhere a record of what the artifact was like to the
>>> people
>>> who produced and used it.
>>>
>>> Mike Csontos
>>>
>>> Moderators Comment:
>>> You need to read the press release more carefully and  more
importantly
>> read
>>> about the product at the web site. Quadriga is an automated system for
>>> documentation and analysis in archival transfers - AudioCube is an
audio
>>> workstation with all the "tools". When using Quadriga you are not
using
>> any
>>> of the audiocube tools unless you want to get into an editing
>environment
>> in
>>> which case you can. Quadriga is used  to ANALYISE the audio stream.
>>>
>>>  I really feel uncomfortable with all of this - I am not a salesman
for
>> this
>>> stuff - just a customer, so investigate it on your own - bottom line -
>we
>>> are not necessarily using the audiocube tools in preservation work -
and
>>> frankly in the work we do I doubt we will use them much at all unless
>> there
>>> is a particular problem - the importance in Quadriga has nothing to do
>> with
>>> workstation tools.
>>>
>>> jim lindner

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography,
                  broadcast engineering, home wiring, and more