[AV Media Matters] How lossy?

Background:
We are currently making reference copies of 1/4" sound reels onto CD-R.
As many reels are at the advanced stages of their life, we must transfer the
content to a new reel. The CD's may well outlast the current sound reels.
Staff and resources are at a minimum, and as such, transferring projects
take a long time to plan and implement. So, while compromising archival best
practices at this time is not *entirely* out of the question, I'd like to
avoid that.

Questions:
What is the level of lossiness transferring from original sound reel to a
new sound reel?
What is the level of lossiness migrating from original sound reel, then
compressed to CD, and then to a new sound reel?
Is there a reliable source to which I can refer for such questions (website,
publication, text book, etc.)?

Thanks,
Cheryl.

Cheryl Linstead
Audio-Visual Records Curator, BC Archives
Information, Science and Technology Agency
Phone: (250) 387-2959  /  Fax: (250) 387-2072
Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm