[AV Media Matters] CD Testing Project

I must say that I have been very intrigued with this thread on CD
polishing and BLER, and several people have mentioned the need for an
impartial test. So here is such an offer.

We have a brand new Clover Systems QA-101 CD tester here, and we are
willing to provide CD testing services for this project for FREE. The
tester is brand new and just went through the qualification test - so we
have statistics on the tester itself and it passed QC on July 26, 2000
so it really is brand new and calibrated. What we propose is that we
receive a series of CD's that are in the "before" stage and do an error
test on them, and then do a test "after". I would think that
statistically a test of around 100 CD's would be a good test - but I am
open to suggestions on this. We will do the before and after tests - and
I suggest a double blind test so that we do not know which is a before
and which is an after, and also some get the treatment and others do
not. We will run the same exact tests (others can determine which ones -
this baby does tons of them), and we will supply the raw data to someone
who is statistics saavy and maybe has access to a statistics program,
and will run the numbers and the charts. The result should be a paper
that should be presented somewhere with access to all interested. The
results may be good for the process, or may be bad -but it will be a
scientific test, and the results will be what they are. IF they are like
most things - I suspect that they will indicate a need for more work -
but it is somewhere to start.  So if a group of people here are
interested we can work "off list" and develop a small manageable
project.

jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services
Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com