Re: Re[4]: [AV Media Matters] Polishing of CDs

Dear Mr. Jaye:

Point one -- The polishing with the Fix-a-Disc equipment was done by the
owner
of a used audio CD store.  He not only offers this service for a fee but
also
repairs audio CDs that he resells.  Therefore, the use of the equipment was
done
by a professional in the field.  I am sure he has also fixed more discs than
have had hot dinners.  (Believe me I have fortunately had many good hot
dinners!).  If there was a problem with his technique then that is fair game
and
it is a result that should be noted.  I walked in as an average customer
wanting
to get his discs repaired -- A Real Life Scenario.  This all factors into
the
hit or miss scenario.  The fact that the water flow rate or grinding pads,
operator experience, etc. may or may not have not been correct just
emphasizes
that problems can occur.  There is no guarantee as a customer that these
problems may not occur.  Obviously, my testing has indicated some potential
problems.

Point two -- I have not "publicly damned" any product and I do not favor one
product over another.  The original post simply wanted to know if any such
measurements have been made.  Since I had done some I made the results
available, even if the test group was not large.  I have simply stated some
results that can occur with the processes stated.  I would welcome some
testing
of discs that you have polished using the process that you use.  I had no
vested
interested either way.  Please e-mail me and we can discuss.

Point three -- "Sloppy science".  I never indicated a thorough many year 100
disc study.  I did indicate a small study indicating some problems.  Members
of
this list wanted some information and I provided it.   What is sloppy
science is
evaluating a treatment without concrete data.  Yes, end result -- how does
it
sound? -- is important, but this is very subjective.  Data eliminates any
bias.
We need both factors to establish the effectiveness of a process.  I have
done
many research projects in the past evaluating treatments  on paper,
photographs,
etc.  The work always took into consideration both factors.  I was surprised
that no such data was available for the many processes out there.  If you
are
pushing a product or process you should have concrete data to support it.

Joe Iraci
Conservation Scientist
Canadian Conservation Institute