Re: Re[2]: [AV Media Matters] Polishing of CDs

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info.  We use a handle made from a synthetic rubber &
extruded through a die of our design that afforts and applicator that is
both safe & efficient for cleaning shellac, vinyl, acetate, lacquer &
Diamond Discs with the water-based cleaning fluid we developed some 20 yrs.
ago & have marketed for the past 7 years.  A handle similar in size to that
used to clean 45 rpm/7" shellac discs using an optical grade polishing pads
and several drops of our CD Cleaning solution [a modification of our Record
Cleaner] forms the basis of the polishing system.  Though in time we expect
to add media to the system along with a more aggressive pad to offer an
array of choice for dealing with scrattched discs, we have for the moment
focused on the value of improving the poor quality of the original disc
surface for use with pre-rrecorded discs and for use prior to burning
recordable discs.

Please let me know if you'd like to apply these materials to your available
analysis & we'll be glad to forward supplies.  We well know what the audio
& video results are subjectively & know that longterm hard is not done by
the solution & it would be useful to all to know if current techniques can
measure these observations.  Application to high-end audio equipment & new
SACD's also demonstrated an improved presentation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Duane Goldman

At 08:56 AM 8/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>E32 refers to the number of uncorrectable errors on the disc.
>
>BLER stands for block error rate and can be defined as the number of data
>blocks
>per second that have one or more bad symbols at the input of the C1
decoder.
>It
>is the most general measurement of disc quality.
>
>The measurements were made with a CDQC2 Compact Disc Test System analyser
>from
>KOCH International.  Discs were tested before and after the scratch
removal.

>The analyser tells you what is happening in terms of errors on the disc.
It