Re: [AV Media Matters] Turntable help

Thanks for the suggestions.  I too found that a half-hour or so of
listening to pops, clicks, scratches and skips sent me scurrying back to
the CD player.  I s'pose that's why they invented them things.

At 08:12 AM 08/07/2000 -0700, krug@lifetimetv.com wrote:
>Now my SL-23 works, but I can't seem to get the pitch to remain stable -
>repeated turning of the adjustment knobs seems to eventually get the
>strobe-stripe in the ballpark, but there's still some drift and flutter.
>Any tips on how to fix that would be welcomed!

I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but my SL-1100A had a similar
problem which I traced to two sources.

First a description: There is a slide mechanism that is 33--off--45. It
turns out that the slide mechanism activates some cams and levers. The
33/45 switching is done by a grasshopper-action ("microswitch") type of
enclosed sensitive switch.

It seemed that the contact resistance (especially at the low power levels
involved in the speed sense circuitry) was variable. The switch selects
which of the two controls (33 and 45) is active.

The second cause is a dirty control (potentiometer) itself.

My SL-1100A is pretty stable with an outboard, replacement miniature toggle
switch C&K / Alco, etc. replacing the grasshopper-action switch for speed
selection.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography,
                  broadcast engineering, home wiring, and more