Re: [AV Media Matters] Barium Ferrite videotape

Scott

I tested tapes at Ampex for about 30 years.  I would never trust any new
formulation unless the manufacturer can supply you with test data. The two
tests I used for durability (long-term stability) were Still-Framing the
same
track for several hours and also at least 1,000 play/rewind cycles.  These
two tests are good indicators of binder integrity and critical for an
archival tape.

I never did understand why anyone would pay more for an unknown type of tape
when there are good archival tapes on the market.  I know that Fuji and Sony
have tapes with a stable binder.  BASF probably does.

Jim Wheeler