[AV Media Matters] Mould on 78 Records

Hi Guys and Gals

I am about to take on a fairly large job, which involves the transfer of
(among other things) a fair number of 78 recordings.

I have looked at a few of these - said to be representative of the bulk -
and they are generally in a fine condition, many unplayed.  However, I did
notice that a small proportion had small spots of mould on them.

Mould is not really a problem we have ever needed to worry about
here.  The
relatively few 78's we see have usually been played to death by their
owners and mould has never been given a chance to take hold!  This
collection is an entirely different kettle of fish.  If anyone can give a
few pointers about how to handle the problem of mould on shellac records,
then I shall be extremely grateful.  On or off list, as you prefer.

Obviously, I need to clean it off (although I assume it will have eaten
into the material).  The spots I have seen are very minor and I
doubt if it
will prove to be an audible problem.  More important, perhaps, would be
some advice about how to prevent this happening again, if that is
possible.

Also, while I am on the subject, some of these recordings will need to be
re-pitched.  I know *when* the official changes of concert pitch were made
- but does anyone have a broad view as to when these got into the
mainstream of playing?  To clarify, a' was standardised at 440Hz in 1939,
but how long would it have been before this change was actually reflected
by the majority of orchestras?

Many thanks in advance

Graeme Jaye
gjaye@retemail.es

Personal-CD - Affordable Audio Restoration

http://www.personal-cd.com