[AV Media Matters] CDRW Compatibility

As a recent purchaser of a Sony Spressa CD-Rewritable Recorder, I am
hoping members of this list can assist me with this query.

I have some MIDI files which I converted through Freeware software
to wavefiles and am trying to burn a CD with these wav files using
the above recorder.  In doing so, after I've placed a CD-RW in the
recorder drive and begin the process of recording the CD, I received
the message "the audio CD you have prepared is less than 10 minutes
in length.  You may not add tracks later to this audio disc.  Do you
want to continue?"  If I answered "yes," I receive a second message,
"you need a blank disk in the recorder to proceed on this job."

I receive the first message EVEN IF I know the disc is blank.  I
don't understand this.  With a CD-RW (or CD-R), you're normally
supposed to have about 74 minutes of playing time.  Does this mean
that I must record ALL the tracks I want on that CD at one time,
with no option to record a track at a time?  I've heard this is an
issue with such drives.

Also, is it true that after you've recorded an audio track on a
CD-RW that you may only be able to play that track on a CD-ROM drive
installed in a computer, rather than through a portable CD player
(for example, in your car)?

Thanks much -

Burt Altman [baltman@mailer.fsu.edu]

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services
Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com