Re: [AV Media Matters] Tape to Film

The belts-and-braces idea is what I still recommend to audio
preservation clients when the tell me they want their stuff on CDs.
I suggest they also have a reel-to-reel madel, perhaps storing it
off-site as additional protection.  This follows the recomended
practice of the AES, since only analog recording tape is recognized
and a long-term preservation medium by them, and that all other
organizations known to me with an interest in this issue follow AES.

One implication, however, is that the client has a reel-to-reel
playback device in working order and is committed to keep it that
way.  Many do not, and some wil not.

CD disasters do not leave the visible residue of failure that the
audio cassette does, streaming audio rippling in the roadside wind.

Another is that, as a project works its way through the planning
stages to that of being funded, a one year or longer cycle, that
reel-to-reel tape will continue to be available.  I'm not saying it
won't be, only that it might not be, and that it would then be
impossible to meet the terms under which the funds were given.   A
caveat covering this issue should now be written into every audio
grant proposal.

Steve Smolian