RE: [AV Media Matters] Digest for AV-Media-Matters@topica.com, issue 117

>I believe that Kodak recommend a temperature of below 0 C for storage and that
>the life expectancy can then be in the order of two thousand years. The only
>problem with this idea, is who is going to be responsible for maintaining the
>deep freeze for that length of time?

Yes, film and photographic materials can be successfully frozen, and
yes it will extend the life expectancy many, many fold. Some have
asked about  the danger of water being present in the emulsion and
ice crystals forming and damaging the film. It turns out that there
are no water molecules present in the emulsion, so this is not a
problem.

Here at Hollywood Vaults we offer what we call Cryogenic Archival
Storage at zero degrees fahrenheit (-18 C) in private individual
freezers. For more information see http://www.hollywoodvaults.com
We?ve been around since 1985. Will we be around in two thousand
years?... Who knows, but when the archeologists dig up the vaults
in the future, they are going to find some interesting stuff for
sure!

David Wexler, President   -   HOLLYWOOD VAULTS Inc
Preservation-Quality Storage for Film, Tape & Digital Media
742 Seward Street, Hollywood, California  90038   USA
Phone: 323/461-6464,   Fax: 323/461-6479
E-mail: mailto:david@hollywoodvaults.com
Web:    http://www.hollywoodvaults.com