RE: [AV Media Matters] Newbie to list question - tape baking, is it

At 08:48 21/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Challenging
>a patent is an expensive activity - so the patent is very much real -
>and do not laugh too hard. It can be very serious business.

Don't get me wrong, I would not disagree with that statement one little bit
(having been involved in more than one patent challenge over the years).

>Saying that the Ampex patent was only done as a defense to poor product
>is a bit on the unfair side - binder degeneration is a problem that has
>caused problems for virtually all vendors at one time or another.

True.  However, my view is that Ampex *had* a perfectly good product which
was changed without proper accelerated life-testing (which would have shown
up this problem quite quickly) and that to try and patent a 'cure' for a
problem they introduced was pushing their luck a bit :-)  Since they have,
apparently, never enforced it (in fact, I never realised it *was* a
patented process until the other day) my guess is their legal department
probably takes the same view.

>If you have never gone
>though the process of researching and reading a patent or two - I
>strongly recommend it - quite educational.

Been there, done that.  Can be interesting indeed.

>Finally - one of the techniques we use at VidiPax is proprietary - but
>uses a material called pellon which is a spun polyester material that
>removes contamination when applied properly.  There are actually many
>different ways to clean tapes - some work better then others - some only
>work in specific cases - there are many different options - one only
>needs to be.......
>inventive!!

I was thinking of specific ways to overcome this particular problem (rather
than cleaning tape in general) - where baking is the only one I have found
which works.  Are you saying that this pellon stuff can solve it as well?

Graeme Jaye
gjaye@retemail.es

Audio CD stuttering?
DVD dodgy?