Re: [AV Media Matters] A caution / correction re head cleaning

While at Honeywell Test Instruments Division, I was responsible for the
assembly
and final test of several different models of Instrumentation Recorders
manufactured there, such as the models 96, 90, 97, 101, 5600, and the High
Density Digital unit, HD-96.

The majority of these recorders used two pairs of 7 or 14 track stationary
heads
and a polyurethane impregnated capstan which were cleaned with a liquor
store
product called Everclear.  This product is literally pure (reagent grade)
methanol and we found it left no residue and did not affect the surface of
the
capstan or the pinchrollers used in the 5600.

If you are having trouble locating pure Isopropyl, you may want to
experiment
with this product as it certainly accomplished the cleaning duties on these
recorders with ease.

George