Re: [AV Media Matters] Workshops on basic repair techniques

Please be aware the Ryerson has an active collection and NOT an archival
collection.  The information I am giving below is how it is done here at
Ryerson with circulating materials.

I am interested in what others do (with circulating collections) and
would like to see their replies here, if it doesn't cause any
problems.

1.  One thing that you can do is encourage staff to take a few
seconds and make sure videos are placed properly in their boxes.  If
the video box bulges, the video needs to be turned the other way in
the box.

2.  I deliberately keep some videos which are damaged.  I use the
video cassettes for replacement parts - the flap, the springs, etc.
You would need a set of small screwdrivers to do this.  I have not
had any training, but was able to do this very easily.

3.  If I receive an item without a hard case, I put it in a hard
case. If you use the video boxes which have plastic on the outside,
you can cut the paper box at a paper cutter and insert the
information under the plastic.  I put a small loop of tape on the
back of the paper cover to make sure it doesn't slip out of the
cover.

4.  Pamphlet binders and spiral binding are used for any soft
covered guides which go with the AV materials.

Hope this helps you.

Debra Jo Sujka

                           Debra Jo Sujka
                   Ryerson Polytechnic University