Re: [AV Media Matters] Polyline envelope

From: David F. Kopperl

Sarah wrote:

I haven't seen this CD storage sleeve myself, but I do think that it could
be tested in a conservation laboratory to see if it passes the "Oddy Test"
and the "Photographic Activity Test (PAT)."  The Oddy Test was developed to
determine if storage materials were adequate or potentially harmful for the
objects that would be in contact with them.  Same with the PAT
(specifically
for photographs).  CDs are certainly not photographs in make-up, but these
tests do indicate if there is harmful stuff off-gassing.  In D.C. you might
want to contact the Research and Testing division of the Library of
Congress
and ask if they have tested this material.

Could someone give more details on the Oddy Test.  I don't believe I have
ever heard of it.  Unless it is a test I heard about in a conservation
seminar in England where the material is exposed to 100% RH in a test tube.
I don't recall the name of that test, but I was not too enthralled with it
for photgrahic materials.