Re: [AV Media Matters] Polyline envelope

I haven't seen this CD storage sleeve myself, but I do think that it could
be tested in a conservation laboratory to see if it passes the "Oddy Test"
and the "Photographic Activity Test (PAT)."  The Oddy Test was developed to
determine if storage materials were adequate or potentially harmful for the
objects that would be in contact with them.  Same with the PAT (specifically
for photographs).  CDs are certainly not photographs in make-up, but these
tests do indicate if there is harmful stuff off-gassing.  In D.C. you might
want to contact the Research and Testing division of the Library of Congress
and ask if they have tested this material.  If you bring it to their
attention, maybe they will....

My guess is that the white divider is probably a non-woven polyester, which
is what Pelon is (contrary to what some have said, it is not cellulosic in
nature).  Another non-woven polyester is known commercially as Hollytex, and
yet another one is known as Reemay.  Nothing too special about it, and it is
inert.

Best wishes,

Sarah Stauderman
Conservator