RE: [AV Media Matters] Converting to non-linear editing

I agree with Eleanor on every point except for the 5 year life for VHS tapes.
 I have heard that number before and it is wrong.  I have 20 year old VHS
tapes.

If a name-brand videotape is used on a good-quality machine, VHS tapes will
have a long life.  If a tape is recorded on a cheap machine and at the slow
tape speed, you will be lucky to play it back in one year.  That is a problem
with the format--NOT the tape.  It is then a matter of finding a machine that
will play the mis-aligned recording or having VCR technical person align the
two scanner guides to play the tape.

Jim Wheeler