[AV Media Matters] Converting to non-linear editing

Greetings All:

I am about to advocate abandoning  linear tape-based editing at my
institution. As the
Director of the our Instructional Media Center, I want my staff, patrons,
and video
prodcution students to be intimately aware of  what the future most
definitely holds for
image gathering...namely, digits.

Our suite is a Sony 3/4" 5000 series. It has served is well and long. It is
currently
being held together with spit and chewing gum. Now I want to get rid of our
suite and put
3 or 4 video edit stations in our facility, each with the option to print to
VHS, U-matic,
or Hi-8.

It would be very helpful to me if I could start a conversation with someone
who feels as
compelled as I do regarding converting to non-linear editing. Would
appreciate responses
from anyone who would like to share research/experiences gleaned from
investigating
non-linear editing.

Thanks in anticipation,
Irene Upshur