Re: [AV Media Matters] Actetate Disc Delamination.

Hi Ken,

I've been contending with transcriptions since first laying eyes on that
genre of recording circa 1969 at Raymond Scott's laboratory in Long Island,
NY.

It's my very unscientific impression that neither glass nor aluminum base
ET's have a greater proclivity to delaminating than the other.  I suspect
that this unfortunate phenomenon is caused by factors including:

-the environment in which they were stored

- how they were manufactured

-what chemicals might have been applied to them (i.e. they used to play 'em
with machine oil to diminish surface noises).

Are you familiar with the "vectoring" process I developped & described in an
article for Audio Magazine perhaps 20 years ago?  I takes advantage of the
combined ability of a stereo cartridge, stylus and preamp to be tuned to the
phase produced by the plane on which a groove was cut.  It's effective in
reducing noise and distortion NOT at the cost of bandwidth because many
disks are neither lateral nor vertical, but "X" degrees removed from the two
standards.  Adding differently sized and shaped styli to your resource of
tools also greatly improves the results.  My favorite arm for such work is
the SME 3012.  This is because its tangent is adjustable, so you can
optimize tracking at the outer and inner most grooves, thus eliminating the
comprimise mandated by arms (virtually all others) that have a fixed pivot.

Best Regards,
Art (Shiffy) Shifrin
VidiPax