Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording Speed

In the late nineteenth century Adlina Patti threatened to go on strike in London if tuning to 465 was continued at the Opera house! Perhaps this was the first attempt to standardize pitch for singers. She was the one singer there at the time who had the clout to do this. Early records and accounts would suggest that the effort only worked in London. There are references, if my memory serves to 421 1/2 in France and I've also read complaints that the orchestra in Vienna's opera house was especially sharp. We've all witnessed the first violin in orchestras providing a pitch for the tuning of the string section. Simply pitching early recordings to 440 doesn't always work though it's a place to start. The other problem is that early records often are not a constant speed from beginning to end. I won't do more than suggest it but the way organs were tuned brings up a whole different aspect of this subject.

Malcolm Smith.