Re: [ARSCLIST] Another "collection" looking for a home (was Fred Williams)

I was going to say most nonrock pop of the 30s-70s has zero collector value,other than "weird stuff" like song poem records,and rare stuff,like pre-Capitol Dean Martin 78s,but it might be that since no collector wants it,there are no real collections that people have bothered to save,and unlike 50s rockabilly 45s,or blue shellac Columbia classical 78s, people did not bother with it,so there may not be too many intact collections.

                                          Roger

--- On Sat, 6/20/09, Steve Ramm <Stevramm@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Steve Ramm <Stevramm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Another "collection" looking for a home (was  Fred Williams)
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 12:30 PM

In a message dated 6/18/2009 6:48:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I do  want to also mention that the majority of our acquisitions (and
those of  every other archive) are still through donation, and that we do
take  donations, large and small, provided they fit our collecting policy
and we  have the resources to deal with them. We very rarely purchase
collections.  The tax advantages of making a donation can be more
attractive than the  prices paid by institutions or dealers. There is
almost no market for  large collections and the only way to get retail
prices is to sell piece  by piece.

Interesting timing for Mike and David's post. A fellow ARSC member -
Anthony DiFlorio - sent me a short 17 minute DVD (which came today) - prepared
by collector David J. Curtis - also an ARSC member - of his (Curtis') record
collection which he would like to sell as one lot. Curtis is in his 70s  -
and lives in suburban Philly (not far from where Fred Williams lives) and
in  1934 started collecting 78s and buying them based on the Billboard
Charts. As  45s and Lps came out, he added those and started documenting the songs
on the  radio show "Your Hit Parade". In fact in the 1980s he helped
produce a  syndicated radio show with that name. He indexed and cross indexed his
collection using index cards and did this until the mid-1990s when he
stopped.  In the video, he walks you through his collection and shows you his
shelving and  where all the Time Life sets are; then the Readers' Digest sets
and then the  Time-Life sets. There is a large Lpp section of Big Bands A-Z
(Manny Albam to Si  Zentner) and many Sinatras as well as Abba! But
EVERYTHING was on the Billboard  chart!

As I said, he wants this collection kept together. I'm pretty sure there is
 no market for all his work. But I could be wrong. Maybe Mike and Leah want
to  visit him and see when they go back to see Fred.

Meanwhile you can call Custis at 215-233-3258 or email him at :
_unc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:unc@xxxxxxxxxxxx)  (per the ARSC Directory) if  you want to
discuss or ask for a copy of the short DVD.

I've never met David and have no other interest except to share.

Steve Ramm
fingertips.