To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Virgin Sacrifice

Your recent posts couldn't be more timely for me! I recently joined this list hoping to get some "clues" about what to do with the 200,000+ recordings (33, 78, 8-track, cassette, reel-to-reel, CD, laservision, etc...), plus catalogs, books and magazines, that have been left for "us" to deal with when my 86-year old father died, unexpectedly, last month. I know he always meant to tell us his plans and to make appropriate arrangements, but it somehow never happened. We now are left trying to figure out what all is there, how it's organized, and who might be interested. He "collected" for over 80 years, and we know everything was important (at least to him) for one reason or another. This is a huge task for the family, and we are struggling to do what we think he would have wanted us to do. Most of the materials are in his home and my mother can barely walk from room to room. He had way more stuff than space.

We have recently contacted some of the organizations we know he had talked with, but there are large chunks of the collection where we are clueless. If you have any suggestions, we would be most appreciative. We are open to all reasonable avenues - libraries, museums, reputable auctioneers, etc... It appears most of the collection is classical (including opera) with a fair amount, also, of "big band."

And, to those of you who collect, please don't wait - write out your plans NOW. My daughter took a video of my parent's house when she was home over the Winter holiday. My dad followed her around but not once did he say, "and this stack over here is ...." If nothing else, have someone take a video of your collection and point out the items that are most important to you, or describe how they are organized, or mention why you have them. If your family members are not as "into" the collecting as you are, they will be grateful - when the time comes.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions any of you may have.

Marlene