Re: [ARSCLIST] Best practice: mixed acetate and polyester reels with sticky shed

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Marie O'Connell wrote, and George comments:

> I really like your thinking here Eric, as I can see you have really
> thought
> about it and worked with it.
>
> As others have said, there can be problems with each method, attaching
> like
> with like, and documenting with leader, details, eventually the lose of a
> tape and the information if it is not well documented, etc.
>
> I would love to separate it all into stock parts and document that but the
> reality is....time and person power.  Do we actually have the time to do
> all
> of this?  This would also involve for our archive, discussing at great
> length a new file format to deal with this as it now becomes more that one
> object.  These objects have already been alloted a numbering system, as a
> single file (if they have been preserved)..  Also, do we house them
> together?  This also involves somehow extending the shelving, which is
> already tight, to fit the 'extra tapes' in.

----- you seem to presume (as did Mike Biel) that from one reel we get two
reels. In a world where we could store each item according to its individual
climatic requirements, this would be natural. However, why not keep it on one
reel, only shuffled according to Eric's rule (1). This would only mean to
stick end-to end that which has already been necessary work for the transfer
process.

The question then becomes a combination of "tails out?" and "acetate or
polyester out?". I would propose SS-prone out, because that provides the
largest radius of curvature of that part of the pack.

Discussions of file format "at great length" is never expenditure, it is
investment, and you had better plan ahead.

> Archivally and considering the integrity of what we deal with, I believe
> the
> practise is to leave it the way it is, but document it thoroughly, which I
> am sure we all hope, wish and have great hopes in, will remain in the
> metadata we are presently creating. (fingers crossed!).

----- well, the way I understand Eric is that it is already impossible to
leave it the way it is, because it has been separeted to bits in the process.
So, you could just as well be intelligent about re-assembly. And if you are
using a system in which you need to keep your fingers crossed and hope for
consistency and validity of the metadata--well, then your system is not good
enough. If you can neither authenticate nor find information as to what you
have done to the original, you could just as well discard it after having
made the documented transfer. It all comes down to trusting the person who
has performed the transfer.