Re: [ARSCLIST] New LoC Recording Registry

24. "The Who Sings My Generation," The Who (1966)

"On their first album, The Who, assisted by The Kinks' producer Shel Talmy, laid down a set of tracks that would include both enduring classics and mainstays of their later concert performances. Pete Townshend penned the rebellious title track, "My Generation," which features John Entwistle playing one of the earliest bass leads in rock. The song is also known for Townshend's proto-punk, two-chord guitar riff with distortion and feedback. The album was billed as "maximum R&B" and it included Bo Diddley and James Brown covers. However, it primarily marked Pete Townshend's assumption of main songwriting duties for the band. Keith Moon, the band's legendary drummer, is featured on "The Ox," a song they would continue to play live throughout their career."

Firstly, that album title is for the U.S. release (the UK was just "My Generation" and was released in 1965) - and if we're talking about the U.S. version, it does NOT include any Bo Diddley cover (his "I'm A Man" was replaced by Pete Townshend's "Circles"). Next, where are all these performances of "The Ox"? Throughout their career? Really? I'd be happy to hear a single live version from *any* point in their career. Was the album billed as "maximum R&B"? And can a debut album mark the assumption of main songwriting duties? Kind of there from the start - from whom was he taking over? "BOTH enduring classics AND mainstays of their later concert performances" - hmmm, any difference there?

And while it's good that they actually managed to spell both Entwistle and Townshend correctly (apparently no mean feat, judging by early press), not one mention of Roger Daltrey?

Who writes this stuff?

Mike

www.crj-online.org
www.jazzdiscography.com