[ARSCLIST] What about using DBX noise recuction boxes for playback of 78's?

In a message dated 5/21/09 9:02:55 PM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxx writes:

> Unless they made a consumer device or open ended model, but I am not
> familiar with such

DBX has made some single ended noise reduction products over the years.
But they are, in general, less effective than software solutions, in my
experience and IMHO.

Once again, best practice is transfers to digital should be done without
noise reduction.   Software and other tools for clean up once digitized will
continue to improve and fall in cost.   Once you've inserted a noise
reduction process before digitization it cannot be undone.   And in the past I
personally have done pre-digital NR which I now regret cannot be undone.

Dave Radlauer
www.JAZZHOTBigstep.com

Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find
free things to do in the U.S.