Re: [ARSCLIST] Technics SP-15 to computer nightmare

FWIW. This may not relate to anything going on here. Direct drive turntables all have, sometimes substantial,rumble. The difference from a rim drive turntable is that the direct drive turntables, such as the SP 15 rumble at such a low frequency as to be inaudible. I do know of situations where they used up all the headroom in direct coupled amplifier, with just the rumble. I believe the Thorens is a belt drive table. That's what made me think of this

Not knowing your equipment, I don't really know if something like this could be going on here. As I said, FWIW.

Bob Cham

Hi,

Although my problem with the transfer of 78s are nearly over, it would seem
I am not quite out of the woods yet and I would really appreciate any
explanations or suggestions on why it is that all tracks on CDs, other than
those produced from the Technics SP-15 are playing OK on a laptop. I am now
in a situation where the Technics tracks are playing perfectly everywhere,
including the desktop computer. However, a CD made of assorted tracks
produced by other sources, including vinyl on a Thorens, played on the
laptop plays fine other than when it comes to the Technics tracks.
Evidently, it is the only piece of equipment left which is not happy with
these recordings and distorts when playing them.

Like Malcolm, I record these tracks in stereo, something that has not given
any problems in the past on any machine. Volumes are set O.K., no clipping.
Before recording, checks are made with all equipment involved and there are
no hints, either visibly on meters or audibly through headphones, that there
are any extraneous noises such as hums or crackles. No distortion can now be
detected at any stage during previews before transferring.

For me, the most puzzling thing is that recording singles from the 50s on
the Thorens proves to be fine when played back on the laptop, substituting
the Thorens with the SP-15 to record 78s from the 50s (not that date really
matters) produces distortion on the laptop. The laptop, by the way, is a
DELL

I appreciate a comment made earlier from the group that I shouldn't worry
too much about one piece of equipment being happy with this but this part of
a mastering process for commercial production and all common possibilities
of machines (and a lot of people listen to CDs in their laptops) that would
be used to play this on must pass the test.

Any explanations or suggestions greatly received.

Gary.