  From: Goran Finnberg
  To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Technics SP-15 to computer nightmare

  Malcolm Rockwell:

  > I always transfer in stereo and then process
  > digitally to mono. Helps me pick the quietest
  > channel, or pieces therefrom, to work with.

  It is well known that always summing to mono gives the quitest transfer
  that is least distorted.

  In the past we only had mono pickups and I still prefer to use this type
  of cartridge as they give the very best quality transfer possible.

  That we can use a stereo cartridge to replay a horizontal cut only,
  mono, disk is of course a possibility but we will then get a far higher
  contaminated transfer with lots of very low frequency disturbances from
  this type of cartridge sensing vertical disturbances from warp, and disc
  defects from nonflat disks that can easily be of much higher amplitude
  than the music itself.

  When one mono a stereo transfer of a lateral only disk then the inphase
  components of the mono only signal nets one a +6 dB increase of the
  actual total signal program level.

  The uncorrellated, out of phase signals, just pure "Junk" of all sorts,
  that has nothing at all to do with the actual horizontal only signal
  engraved, only increases + 3 dB when we mono a stereo replay of a mono
  source off disk so we net an actual + 3 dB in gain of the wanted in
  phase mono signal compared to the junk.

  Then we have the pinch effect and tracking distortions coming off a mono
  cut sensed by a stereo responding, vertical/lateral, sensing device and
  the stereo replay will have a much greater content of primarily second
  harmonic distortion that gives that shattering breakup effects on all FF
  passages in the music and that glassy sounding treble.

  The tracking distortion at high levels of modulation at high
  frequencies  can appear really nasty due to several 10s of percent
  distortion at the high frequencies while replaying mono records in
  stereo. But mono this and most of it disappears along with a lot of the
  rumble.

  Using a mono cartridge that responds +only+ to the horizontal, mono,
  content ALWAYS provides a much cleaner sounding transfer than replaying
  in stereo or trying to use one channel, the cleanest, or all other types
  of using L or R which ALWAYS will be next best compared to use mono only
  sensing devices either as a pure mono horizontal sensing cartridge or
  summing L/R of a stereo, horizontal/vertical sensing device to give pure
  mono.

  --
  Best,

  Goran Finnberg
  The Mastering Room AB
  Goteborg
  Sweden

  E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

  Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
  make them all yourself.    -   John Luther