Re: [ARSCLIST] Prices of early high-quality phonographs

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clark Johnsen" <clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx>
What were the prices of early high-quality phonographs? I'm not sure how to
identify these, but in 1915 (say) what was the finest reproducer and what
did it cost? Let's say, one for cylinders and another for discs. What was
the price of the Edison Laboratory Diamond Disc machine? (I've heard $200.)
Of the Victor Credenza? You see what I'm getting at.

Also, I've heard tell of a "Carnegie Phonograph", a late-Thirties electrical
console of some magnificence that's said to have cost $5000 or so. Does
anyone know about it?

Finally, how much were the most expensive records?

The prices of "high-end" players covered high-quality cabinet work over and
above the playing mechanism; a "phonograph" was as much a piece of furniture
as anything! IIRC, you can look up original prices on several web sites (as well
as in books!) and I think the most expensive Edison machines ran around $500?

There were several VERY expensive radio-phonographs sold in the thirties
and forties...I SHOULD know the makes but they have slipped my mind...!
I do, however, own an E. H. Scott 800-B radio-phonograph. The player
part is no great thing...but the output was four 6L6's putting out close
to 50 watts mono through a 15" coaxial speaker...and this could "rattle
your tooth fillings" when turned up close to maximum. The radio originally
belonged to the sherriff of Peoria County, Illinois (and Peoria was NOT
noted for its honesty in 1947)...and the original price was around $1500
which was about $300 more than a new Chevrolet sedan listed for!

The cabinet is mahogany veneer on solid mahogany; it weighs about 300
pounds WITHOUT the "works!"