Re: [ARSCLIST] vinegar reel to reel - is it safe to play?

Kodak brown-oxide tape is bad stuff. I've played these tapes before. They did shed some oxide in the form of dust but they didn't complete disintegrate as I've heard happens sometimes. If you can't get your hands on one of those rare birds that plays cupped tape, you can stuff the head can with gauze to get the job done. Not recommended on a regular basis, but it does the job. I had one Kodak tape that actually had some non-replaceable audio on it and got a very good transfer this way. The tape would probably play again, although it's all the more vinegar and cupped now, about 10 years later.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frances, Melodie" <mfrances@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] vinegar reel to reel - is it safe to play?

The box says Kodak and has a sticker that says 'durol base, new high strength triacetate' - the reel itself has not additional info and yes, it is separate from everything else (probably by accident by thank goodness).

Melodie Morgan Frances
Head of Cataloging
Graduate Theological Union
mfrances@xxxxxxx