Re: [ARSCLIST] vinegar reel to reel - is it safe to play?

Melodie,

FYI-Many of the Kodak acetate base tapes I've encountered over the years have exhibited rather severe VS. As Mike pointed out, you definitely want to keep these tapes separated from any other acetate tapes.

The degree of problems I've encountered with the Kodak stocks varies widely. If they were not stored in ideal conditions, be prepared to see a fair amount of shedding, especially if the base is already cupping. You may also have problems with the oxide peeling from the base. If this is the case, I would suggest getting some professional help, as it were.

Depending on the exact condition, there are a few possible solutions to the problems you might typically encounter, much too long to go into here. However, there is hope, as long as the oxide is still adhered to the base.

Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Quoting "Frances, Melodie" <mfrances@xxxxxxx>:

The box says Kodak and has a sticker that says 'durol base, new high
strength triacetate' - the reel itself has not additional info and yes,
it is separate from everything else (probably by accident by thank
goodness).

Melodie Morgan Frances
Head of Cataloging
Graduate Theological Union