From: Michael Biel <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Store Day 4-18-09
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 5:38 PM

From: Jim Long <JJimLong@xxxxxx>
We very much enjoyed the second annual Record Store Day last Saturday. we headed north to the Grand Rapids area, sporting two participating stores. Lots of vinyl at both locations, new and old.The Corner Record
Shop boasted vintage-audio repair and sales/display rooms, Vertigo Music
had a more festive, gallery-like atmosphere. Both were busy and full
of people, mostly a lot younger than me (67)!

The pictures were great. It seemed like an interesting contrast in the
two places, because it seemed at The Corner Record Shop it started out
as mainly a couple of old folks like us and just a couple of kids, but
at Vertigo it was mobbed with kids -- and the kids were interested in
vinyl. (I was interested in that blond!)

As a comment about your comment about the cell phone being "essential
for the younger generation". For me having a cellphone with my daughter
at the other end at her computer is what is essential when record, DVD,
or book shopping. We often call each other when we are out shopping for
us to check the web if what we are finding is a good deal, or if we can
get it from an Amazon dealer or other on-line source for less. We're
often at a loss when the other one is not at home! But when the two of
us are together when we are shopping -- watch out!!! As I've mentioned
before, the two of us are quite a team at one of those swap sessions or
archive disposal sales such as happens occasionally at ARSC conferences.
Those venues usually don't have the type of items or prices that require
computer checks -- they just require SPEED-of-the-grab, and protection
of your pile(s)!

Actually Leah was at Newbury Comics in Boston for Record Store Day and
she reports that there were no bargains to be had. Even the vinyl that
was 20% off was originally priced too high. Boston has a rep as an
audiophile city, so the customers were buying the higher-end type of
vinyl. We go for the dollar stuff. All the special vinyl issues for
the event were high priced with the purpose of creating instant
collectors items with a high base-price rather than trying to promote
the use of vinyl by current artists for modern release. Although she
went with the purpose of buying some certain releases we had heard about
but the were not worth the price. So she ended up buying no records,
just a DVD box and a pin, and picking up the freebie CD samplers and
some old posters. She was astonished that there were no promotional
items for sale or free promoting Record Store Day. Marketing seems to
not be the strong suit of these people -- no wonder record stores are
failing. On the other hand, one of our two Lexington, Kentucky stores
did do some good promotions and we see on their postings that they still
have some of the canvas tote bags they printed up promoting the day, and
we'll stop by on Sunday on the way home from the Cincinnati Old Time
Radio convention and see if we can get a couple, and go thru what is
left of their dollar vinyl and CDs.

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx