Re: [ARSCLIST] 1937 shellac test pressing outperforms audio CD

On Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:10 AM, Michael Biel wrote:

> But they could be harmonic ringing of the mechanics of the cutter
> head--the other mechanical device in the chain.  You have to
> consider the source feeding the recording head--the microphones
> and amplifiers.

Indeed!  I'm hitting the drawing board looking for a ringing coil
somewhere (mic, cutter, or cartridge).  Time for me to double check
*everything*.  I've heard that the Westrex cutters were more prone
to ringing than the Neumanns, but I don't know what cutters were in
use at RCA in 1937.

There are some new bits in my playback chain - time to shake things
out yet some more.

> While you are at it, I'd like to see what you measusre on Western
> Electrtic Wide Range Vertical Recordings such as used by World,
> Associated, and Muzak.

Me, too!  I don't have any such recordings to test with at the
moment, though.

> There is evidence that Victor "dumbed down" their recordings,
> so it is important that you have access to those test pressings
> which might not have been compromised.  But maybe some of the
> things Victor was polishing off were cutter-head transient
> ringings.

Very interesting bit of history, that.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting