Re: [ARSCLIST] Common database/electronic library interchange format ?

Darren,

there are a number of current projects working with this issue. Most are based around the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH):

http://www.openarchives.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAI-PMH

These include the uk Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA):

http://www.mla.gov.uk/

Peoples Network Discover project (PNDS),

http://www.peoplesnetwork.gov.uk/discover/

(which is currently being restructured)

and the ambitious, but more stable Europeana project:

http://www.europeana.eu/

You may also be interested to look at the European Library project:

http://www.theeuropeanlibrary.org/

I am an active participant in all of the above projects (with the exception of the European Library) and I would be happy to pass on any information you need. Feel free to contact me off-forum, if you want to know more.

Best Wishes

Mike Hirst

D P Ingram wrote:
Hi.

Does anybody know (Google was not my friend, at least with what "rubbish" I put in) if there is a common database/electronic interchange format for linking electronic library collections?

I understand an institution may not be able to have a common database format (fields etc) but there can be filters or things applied to make it easy to share or link collection databases together. Does such a thing exist?

Many thanks, Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦
¦ +358 6 781 0275 (FIN) ¦ +46 8 5511 4995 (SWE) ¦ +44 203 014 3839 (UK) ¦
¦ extn 8001
¦

-- Mike Hirst Managing Director DAS-360° 16 Ocean View Whitley Bay Tyne & Wear NE26 1AL

tel: 0191 289 3186
email: mike.hirst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://www.das360.net