Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSC Newsletter - Call for Content

CF - You folks had asked for some news, so…

On Thursday evening, Feb 26, ARC will host a meeting of the NY Chapter of ARSC, with a talk by Tim Brooks, ARSC pointman on copyright in DC. [address below]

The numbers are in for 2008, donations to the ARC include : 33,837 CDs, 9,173 CD singles, 42,349 LPs, 14,417 twelve-inch singles, 4,218 seven-inch singles, 1230 music books, 1,570 music DVDs, plus tons of magazines, press kits, cassettes, etc...

Of the many wonderful collections we received one of the most important was from Music Publishers Shapiro, Bernstein & Co., who made a priceless donation of 2,304 ten-inch acetates. These one-of-a-kind, one-sided discs were created by songwriters, publishing companies and song pluggers to entice potential users. One such rarity is Tony Bennett having a first crack at the David/Bacharach title song from a young Brigitte Bardot’s “The Night Heaven Fell.” Just for fun they threw in the sheet music.

One of our more challenging jobs this year was supplying all the scans (over 800) for the new Grammy Hall of Fame that opened Dec 6 in LA. ARC is one of the few libraries or in America that could supply such a wide array of popular music, in good condition, in a timely manner. Well, we had a little help from the Institute of Jazz Studies out at Rutgers. Scanning artwork and labels continues to be a major use of the collection, and this year we did work for Universal, Verve, Cadence, Sony, Def Jam, Nonesuch, Dave Clark (who stiffed us for the bill) and CBS among others.

You can now visit the NYMIA - The New York Musicians Index and ARChive @ www.nymia.org This is an online listing of all working musicians and music related businesses in New York State. This project was funded by ARC, Columbia University and a $250,000 grant from the New York State Music Fund. The grant was awarded and administrated by the Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. If you ARE a musician, or work in a music related field in New York State, do go online and make sure you’re listed. If you need to book a tour through ancient New York – Phoenicia, Troy, Syracuse, Rome, Ithaca, Utica, Athens – the NYMIA makes it easy to find venues and help to promote your shows.

ps - we can also supply a scan or illustration if needed

Thanks

B. George,
Director