Re: [ARSCLIST] Soapbox

From: Dave Lewis <dlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

There are lots of reasons to take the following with a grain of salt, especially considering the source:

http://www.scena.org/columns/lebrecht/090204-NL-decca.html

Most Americans have never heard of him and don't know how controversial he is in England. Last year he lost a libel suit to the owner of Naxos and the entire book was removed from sale in the U.K. I got the U.S. edition under a different title, and note that he included mentioned my research on the Rach 2 although not crediting me by name.

And the technical milestones he ascribes
to Decca are inaccurate, at least in the sense that he makes the point
here - it would have been nice if Stormin' Norman would spend a little
time supporting his broad claims, rather than grinding his axe because
these folks wouldn't cover the tab for his coffee at some meeting or
another. David "Uncle Dave" Lewis

I have submitted the following comment and we'll see if he allows it to be posted.

"Interesting but quite historically inaccurate. Bing and Louis recorded for the unaffiliated American Decca company, and their 78s appeared on in the U.K. on Brunswick. Decca didn't introduce the LP, American Columbia did in June 1948, and both Edison and RCA Victor had previously introduced LP systems in 1926 and 1931. Decca's stereo system was specifically rejected by the industry, and Cook Records had been issuing stereo discs since 1953. Soundstream and Denon were doing digital master recording before Decca. And Decca's post-war FFRR quality had been equaled and surpassed a dozen years earlier by Western Electric's Wide Range Vertical Recording system used on broadcast transcriptions."

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx