Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital oral history recorders - any recommendations?

Still another new option:
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=PROTRACK

This is a clever concept. iPods are ubiquitous. Note, though, that a hard drive iPod is a bit more fragile than a flash-memory recorder, and heavier with this contraption around it. Still, though, a library or charity may be able to solicit donations of old iPods and end up with a cheap solution here.

-- Tom Fine

I have a stereo microphone with a line in jack built into it that I can plug into the bottom jack on my iPod. It makes surprisingly good recordings to WAV files of lower-volume sources, though it completely blew out trying to record a live band. I bought it at Wal-Mart for about $30.
I haven't used it for any interviews, but I would think it would work pretty well.
I see some mixers are starting to incorporate iPod slots, so you can do your recording on it.

-Matt Sohn