Re: [ARSCLIST] Some DAT questions

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:14:36 -0500, Nicole Martin wrote:

>We use a Silicon Graphics DDS-3 drive and have had great success
>migrating DAT tapes...

We used a similar setup with SGI DDS-3 streamers to preserve >500 DAT cassettes.

Re. playback quality, we found a large variation in error rates, mainly
depending on DAT brand:
- BASF, Fuji and Sony DATs gave only few errors
- Maxell DATs produced many errors (unplayable in DDS3 streamer)

Old DATs without Atime could not be extracted using a DDS tape streamer.

Jos Van Dyck
New Generation Media
Audio preservation solutions