Re: [ARSCLIST] rehousing audio cassettes

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Jen Tobias wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> We have audio cassettes that are currently stored in the little plastic
> boxes that cassette tapes originally come in (I assume this is PVC.)

----- actually, it is usually polystyrene

We
> don't have a huge budget for rehousing tapes, and I'm trying to mediate
> ideal housing with realistic budget constraints- that is, I'm trying to
> figure out which of the low-cost options would yield the greatest benefit.
> That said, is it worth it to switch to polyethylene (or Mylar) cassette
> boxes? Does anyone have any insight into this?
> Thanks for your help!

----- the plastic box ensures that there is some air inside, that there is
some distance from the outside of the box to the actual magnetic tape, that
there is no great deposit of dust (if the temperature is not too varying,
because then it breathes), and it gives some protection against squashing.
Some polyethylene boxes, while a bit smaller, are actually worse in most of
the above.

 Why would you want to change your boxes? Digitizing the content would be the
way to go and then keep the cassette boxes in larger boxes in suitable remote
storage.

Kind regards,

George