[ARSCLIST] Reminder: NY ARSC Meeting - THIS Thursday 1/22/09 - 92nd Street Y

Greetings all - and happy inauguration week :-)

Most of you on our primary mailing list should have recieved our "snail"
mailing already, but this is a reminder that our next meeting is THIS
Thursday, 1/22/09, at the 92nd Street Y's Buttenwieser Library - 1395
Lexington Ave (between 91st & 92nd Streets), 2nd floor.

The text of our meeting flyer is as follows - hope to see you all there for
what promises to be a fascinating and informative evening!

dave nolan
Audio Archivist
92nd Street Y

ARSC New York Chapter
January 2009 Meeting

Thursday, 1/22/09
at the 92nd Street Y
Buttenwieser Library (2nd Floor)
1395 Lexington Ave. (between 91st & 92nd Streets)
New York,  NY  10128
>From 7pm to 9pm – doors (and refreshments) at 6:30

Max Wilcox in conversation with Joe Patrych

Max Wilcox speaks with Joe Patrych about his career as a Classical Music
Producer and conductor spanning over five decades.  Beginning at RCA in
1958, Mr. Wilcox was responsible for the recordings of Arthur Rubinstein,
until Mr. Rubinstein’s retirement in 1976.  He also worked with such RCA
artists as the Guarneri Quartet, Peter Serkin, Itzhak Perlman, Van Cliburn,
and Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra.   In his subsequent
career as an independent producer from 1974 through the present, Mr. Wilcox
has produced recordings by the Emerson String Quartet, Simon Estes, the
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, and scores of others.

We will learn how the art and science of recording has advanced during Mr.
Wilcox’s career, and what characteristics make an effective Recording
Producer - what to do, and more importantly, what NOT to do during a
recording session.  Mr. Wilcox’s recordings have won seventeen Grammy
Awards.

Joseph Patrych is a recording producer and the owner of Patrych Sound
Studios in New York, well known for its recordings of classical piano and
chamber music. He has had 2 CD’s nominated for Grammy Awards: Alkan
Concerto with Marc-Andre Hamelin, pianist on Music & Arts Records in 1994 &
Glazunov Piano Music, Vol. 1 with Duane Hulbert, pianist on Bridge Records
in 2002.  He has performed as a pianist, conductor and choral singer, and
has adjudicated several music competitions, most recently the Degrado
Memorial Competition for the past 3 years.

In addition to his New York-based studio work, Mr. Patrych regularly takes
part in recording and engineering workshops and recording sessions
throughout the United States. He has designed and built recording and
archival studios for Harvard University, The University of Missouri at
Kansas City, The Edison National Historical Site, and The International
Piano Archives at Maryland, as well as many private studios. He is a member
of The Association of Recorded Sound Collections, where he is on the
Technical Committee.

All ARSC NY Chapter meetings are free and open to the public.