From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Jacobs
Sent: December 17, 2008 10:01 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Suggestions needed re: crashed disk drive recovery

Hello Richard,

If the "crash" was induced by HDD data corruption (ie. the
index/TOC), and is in a PC format like FAT or NTFS, I have
had very good success with GetDataBack:

http://www.runtime.org/

If the crash is due to a mechanical failure of the head or
drive mechanism, then indeed, you are looking at $3,000 - if
they can get anything at all.

If the HDD is formatted for use with the Mac OS or some
other flavor of UNIX, I'm not sure what the appropriate tool
would be for repairing the index/TOC (if that's the problem).

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting